On July 7th, Humane Society of the United States and the United Egg Producers have come to an unprecedented agreement, which calls for a national labeling program for all eggs sold commecially and promises to provide consumers with more information about the production practices used by egg farmers.
- Some of the requirements from the proposed legislature include:
- Elimination of barren battery cages through a phase-out period
- Allowing birds to engage in their natural behaviors, currently denied to them in cages
- Mandated labels on all egg cartons nationwide to inform consumers of the methos used to produce the eggs, such as “eggs from caged hens” or “eggs from cage-free hens”.
- Prohibiting molting through starvation
This is a great move for chicken welfare and I’m hoping we’re going to see similar developments for other farm animals.
More information available on the HSUS website.