Places to buy
Find grocers and restaurants who sell humanely-raised.
Originally I had started to put together my own list of grocers and restaurants where you can purchase humanely-raised meats. However, with so many great search tools out there, my lists are quite limited.
While I’m leaving the info I’ve gathered below, use the tools on the right to find which grocers and restaurants carry humanely-raised meat.
- Whole Foods: All stores have a Global Welfare Partnership program that rates how sustainably/humanely animals were raised
- Trader Joe’s: Almost all TJ meats and poultry are humanely raised. Look for labels that say pastured or free-range.
- Safeway’s Open Nature brand
- Nob Hill’s Full Circle Brand carries humanely-raised chickens and meat and dairy cows, no pork
- Sprouts: Some organic, and some humanely-raised choices for produce, dairy and meats.
- Lunardi’s Market: San Jose and Los Gatos locations
- Mollie Stone’s: Palo Alto location
More and more businesses are offering humanely-raised options, as well as a much wider vegetarian menu. To list all the restaurants would be rather impossible, but here are just a few of my favorites.
Manresa – Los Gatos, CA
Parcel 104 – Santa Clara, CA
The Table – San Jose, CA (Willow Glenn)
Chez TJ – Mountain View, CA
The Counter – Palo Alto, CA
Village Pub – Redwood City, CA