When a friend of mine introduced me to Trader Joe’s soyrizo (yep, its exactly what it sounds like – a soy version of chorizo), it quickly became one of my favorite Meatless Monday ingredients, and has been ever since! There are many other brands of the soyrizo out there, so be sure to try several to find your top choice!
Here are two classics with a soyrizo twist – both are deliciously savory and will be a hit with even the most serious meat eaters!
- Prep your favorite taco ingredients as you normally would: flour
or corn tortillas, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, grilled veggies, sour cream, cheese, etc
- For the ‘meat’ filling, heat olive oil in a skillet, chop and saute one onion over medium heat until soft
- Add one soyrizo package and cook until browned, approximately 10 minutes
- Warm tortillas and load them up with all the yummy taco goodness!
Pasta with soyrizo sauce
- In a skillet, saute one clove of chopped garlic over medium heat (with a little bit of olive oil), until brown, approximately 3 minutes
- Add one soyrizo package to the garlic, and cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes
- Mix in one jar of your favorite pasta sauce and simmer until heated through, about 7-10 minutes
- Top spaghetti or penne with the soyrizo mix and enjoy!
To mix things up, try adding chopped portabella mushrooms to the garlic mix (cook for about 5 minutes before adding the soyrizo) and corn and peas right after adding the pasta sauce. Delicious!!
Happy Meatless Monday!